What follows is a checklist that is for use during implementation to assess
a variety of factors that can affect successful implementation. Indicators,
which will help you decide whether you would answer yes or no to each question,
follow the questions.
1. Is the leadership currently supportive?
- Leaders holding formal top-level positions (e.g., director, supervisor)
provide public verbal support for implementation and continue to allocate
appropriate resources (e.g. people, money) to the implementation
- Any necessary steering committees or other such mechanisms have been established
and are active
- Informal leaders have been involved in previous stages and/or are influencing
key formal leaders to support interventions
2. Do the target groups (usually providers) accept and use the interventions?
- The PNA data includes provider data and accurately reflects the situations
users face as they try to achieve desired performance
- Providers have been genuinely involved during the intervention design stage
- The interventions have been pre-tested
- The interventions either do not represent a significant change from the
normal organizational culture (the way work gets done), or plans have been
made to support organizational change at the provider level
3. Are there any external conditions that may affect implementation?
- Plans exist for external conditions that could affect implementation (e.g.,
an upcoming election, a new policy, decentralization efforts)
4. Are the resources needed for implementation in place?
- The intervention activities match resource levels (e.g., human, time and
financial resources are available and realistic)
- Resources are being made available as planned
5. Does the capacity to implement the interventions exist? If not, is there
a strategy in place to develop the capacity; what happens now?
- There is evidence that the capacity to implement the interventions exists:
there are adequate numbers of staff with the right skills, resources, systems
and procedures in place; materials are prepared, etc.
- The workplan deadlines are being met. Responsibilities are clear
- The client and/or stakeholder organizations and the PI leader/team have
implemented a plan for building capacity to implement and sustain the results